Saturday, July 6, 2013

Birthday Wishes


July 8, 2006 is the day my entire life changed forever, my heart expanded larger than I ever thought it could and my eyes were opened to an amazing world I never knew existed. July 8, 2006 Cam came into this world teaching me so much in just a few seconds. He taught me that my life as I knew it was about to change in ways I could never imagine. He taught me that everything I knew about life was wrong and that with his one little sweet cry he was going to teach me about what really matters in life. I held him so tight and knew I was in absolute awe and love. Who knew someone so tiny could do all of this in a matter of seconds? I wrapped his little finger around mine and knew I never wanted him to let go. I sit here today thinking about that day 7 years ago and am in complete amazement for all he has taught me over these 7 years. He has not just taught me about life, but he has taught me that I have fight inside of me I never knew existed. He has taught me that I am stronger than I ever thought possible and that judging anyone is the worst thing you can ever do. Yes, at 7 years old this child has done all of this and I sit here with tears in my eyes writing this with such love and pride.

I truly never imagined being such a protective parent but Cam changed that completely the day he was born. I knew that I was now not responsible just for myself but for someone who had my entire heart, my soul…everything. I knew at that second I never wanted anything bad to happen to him or never wanted anyone to ever hurt him. I vowed to him that day while holding him so tight that I would be the best mom I could to him because he deserved no less and that he would always be my world. I promised to always fight for him and protect him. I didn’t realize how many times and people in 7 years would put those words to the test. Whether it be family, friends, teachers, doctors, strangers…you name it and I have fought to protect him, fought for him to have a better life and fought for him to have everything in life that he deserves.

The day he was diagnosed with Asperger’s and ADHD it was like a new fire was lit inside of me. A new fighter was born and those words that I said to him the day he was born came screaming into my head. Some say that I protect him too much and to those people I say…you are absolutely right. This child deserves to be protected. He deserves for his mom to love and protect him for as long as I am able. This world is scary enough for neurotypical children but it is much scarier for those on the spectrum. He has taught me that though others doubt him or his daddy and I that it doesn’t matter because we prove them wrong. We make it through anything because we do it together, even when people say we can’t. We have a bond that others can only dream about.

July 8, 2006 the smartest, funniest, silliest yet so serious, inquisitive, challenging, animal and dinosaur loving, amazing little boy was born and forever changed his daddy and mine life. He has and continues to teach us so much. We look at life through his beautiful eyes and it is amazing. He is the best big brother in the world and his little sister adores him. They are truly the very best of friends and we thank God for that bond. It is a bond that his daddy and I will do everything we can to make sure lasts a lifetime. Cam you are so much more than Autism, you are so much more than just a 7 year old little boy who has my heart, you are a little boy who I truly believe with everything I have will change the world for the better. I know you will because you have already changed your daddy, sister and mine life and we love you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment