Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Passion


What is your passion? A question a friend of mine posted the other night on Facebook. The question got me to really start thinking. As I was reading others answers, I sat there thinking what is my passion? Hers was her cooking and her passion to help find a cure for Cancer. Others were there jobs, helping others, etc. But, what is MY passion? When you become a stay at home mom you sometimes forget that there is a life outside of being a chaperone, a therapist, a maid, a cook, a play buddy, etc to your children. I am not complaining at all about being a stay at home mom. It has been the best thing for both of my children since my husband and I made the decision for me to quit my career and stay home. But, what is my passion?

Before I had children my passion was my career and even after I had Cam for awhile it was still a major passion for me. It pushed me and gave me a rush that I loved. After awhile that rush stopped and I felt like I lost a passion for anything. But, then Cam was diagnosed and a little fire started inside of me. At that time it was a fire…a passion for knowledge. Because  I wanted to learn anything and everything I could about Autism. I didn’t want to know the “why is he Autistic” so much as I wanted to know how his brain worked differently, how I could help him and how would his life be in the future with Autism. I went to every seminar I could, I read every book I could and I talked to every doctor and therapist I could to get all of this information. I still do all of this…hence why I never sleep. Then I became involved with the group Autism Speaks. I volunteered to help with the first walk in our area a few years ago and it helped me to learn about the organization and being involved with this first walk ignited a bigger fire inside of me. Being a part of this is a way of me helping teach people about Cam, spreading the awareness about Cam and learning that there was a big Autism family out there that I never knew existed.

But, I want more….I want to do more. One walk a year just isn’t enough for me. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the walk and all that it does for our community. I LOVE Autism Speaks and all the fights that they fight for us, the awareness that they spread for Cam and all of the other children. BUT and here is where my passion comes in big time….I want to do MORE for the Autism community. When Cam was diagnosed my husband and I felt so completely alone and trust me there are many, many days that we still do. But, I now have friends who have children on the Spectrum who understand our journey and I want to change the world for not just Cam but for their children too. I have a friend who has a teenage son with Autism and I want her to know that the world will understand her son and will help him and that he will have an amazing future. I have a friend with two boys on the spectrum and I want her to be comfortable going into a store or a restaurant without having to basically cringe thinking about the stares or rude comments she will get if one of them has a meltdown and they will have a meltdown because they get over stimulated. But how can they learn how to control it when she or anyone in her same shoes….including myself is afraid to go out in public because it is easier to stay home and not deal with the stares and rude comments. I have another friend who I want her to just know that her son will have the brightest future possible. I could list all of the friends…people I want to help, but I think you understand what I am trying to say. I want businesses all over to offer sensory friendly times for children and adults with Autism. I want children and adults with Autism to be able to enjoy all of the amazing things in life that “normal” children and adults can. I want parents right after they hear those words “your child has Autism” to not feel alone and like their entire worlds are coming to an end. I want them to have someone to turn to…a friend who’s been there and can help them.

Now I know I can’t change the world in a day, but THIS is my passion. I want my community to understand, love and accept these amazing children and then spread it through the rest of the world. My passion is changing the way people look at not just children with Autism but also how they look at the incredible parents who are raising these very special children. I want the word Autism to not come out sounding like a four letter word. My passion is Autism and changing the way people look at it, treat it and treat those dealing with it. What is your passion? 

No comments:

Post a Comment