Sunday, May 19, 2013

Happy Anniversary


Today my husband and I celebrate six years of marriage. From the beginning we started things off backwards. We had Cam before we got married. As you can imagine that really upset some people. We of course had talked about marriage and children and knew that one day both would happen for us, we just didn’t realize so soon on the children front. But, Cam was NEVER an “oops”, he was the best surprise that has ever happened to either one of us. We hit hurdles together right away after Cam was born. We weren’t married, so relatives were upset about that, they didn’t fully accept our relationship because we did do things backwards, so needless to say from the beginning we have dealt with so many different hurdles. We thought once we got married some of these issues would get better…easier…needless to say we were very wrong.

Our marriage has dealt with and continues to deal with relatives issues, Cam’s Autism diagnosis, Cam's therapies, issues and melt downs, our daughter almost dying the day she was born, a Cancer diagnosis to one of our relatives, job and financial struggles, my own Cancer scare, you name it and it seems that it has been thrown at us. The struggles have at times appeared too much for any relationship to endure, but at the end of the day we made our vows and we took them seriously. Marriage is never easy, but it is worth it. It is worth being married to my best friend who loves me no matter what. It is worth spending my life fighting the fights with him because together we make an amazing team. I could not imagine enduring any of this with anyone else.

My husband doesn’t see the same person I do when I look at him. I see an incredible man who has defied so many odds in his life. I see a man who others doubt and they should be ashamed of themselves for doubting. I see a man who loves his children more than anything in this world and they adore him right back. I see a man who makes me laugh when all I feel like doing is crying. I see a man who knows just what to say when I am feeling down or like a complete failure to lift my spirits. I see a man who works so hard and tirelessly for his family. I see a man that even when I am at my worst loves me anyways. He doesn’t see all of this in himself, but I do.

Our marriage may have started off backwards in some people’s eyes, but to us it was the best way we could have ever started our family. 6 years later we have defied many odds, been down many roads that we wished we would never have to travel, cried and laughed together and have two amazing kiddos. Today we sat and played board games and laughed with both of our kiddos. Today we smiled because together we have made it through all of this and we smile even bigger because we know that no matter what, we have each other and we have these two amazing children and though our road isn’t easy, together we will make it through anything. 6 years have come and gone, but our love, our trust, our bond has grown stronger than I ever imagined possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment