Thursday, May 9, 2013

Happy Mother's Day


I have been a little down lately and really throwing myself a pity party. The daily struggles sometimes become very overwhelming and though I promise myself not to allow issues or people to bring me down I have failed with that miserably recently. Today Cam completely helped me get out of my funk and reminded me of what is really important....which is him, Peyton and daddy.

This morning was “morning with mom” at his school. Basically it is a little breakfast in the cafeteria to celebrate Mother’s day and Cam was so excited about it being just he and I. Last night we talked about what they were going to have for breakfast and he said “mommy I don’t like the donuts they’re going to have, can we go to Dunkin’ Donuts and bring our own?” How could I say no? He was so excited about our morning and of course so was I. So this morning we both woke up extra early and headed to Dunkin’ Donuts. We went inside to pick out which ones he wanted and half way up to the counter he freezes and looks at me and says, “mommy, look they have heart shaped ones just for mommy’s! Can I buy you one?” Completely melted my heart. He thought about me, he didn’t need anyone to tell him what to say, he did it all on his own. HUGE step for my little man! So when we got to the counter he tells the young lady working “I would like to buy my mommy that heart donut please. It’s our special breakfast at my school and my mommy is my date.” Seriously kiddo, you are winning huge brownie points here. So we ordered the donuts and off we headed to the school. He held my hand the entire way to the cafeteria, something that is big for him. He can be very cuddly sometimes, but it is always on his terms, which I have learned to be ok with and just enjoy when he is. We sit down and start to have breakfast together and he turns to me and says, “mommy, I love you and I think you are the best mommy in the world.” Tears (happy ones finally) start to come and he gets very worried…I could see it in his face. I tried to explain to him that I was crying happy tears but to him when someone cries it is always because they are sad. He said, “I think it’s kinda silly that you’re crying when you’re happy mommy. You’re supposed to just smile not cry.” Well kiddo your mommy is a complete emotional loon and she cries pretty easily. Those were thoughts in my head…no need to confuse him any more than I already had. We sat there together and laughed and played thumb wars. It was the perfect way to start the morning. There were no meltdowns, no arguing, nothing but laughs, smiles and happy tears. It was time to head to class and as I am walking with him to his class he says, “ya know mommy I wonder why God thought I was so special that he had wanted to give me Asperger’s.” Can we stop throwing mommy for these crazy loops kiddo, please?! So there at school we sit down on the bench in front of his classroom and talk about how special he is Asperger’s and all. This time though it was a really good talk. Not one I had planned on having at his school on a bench, but who cares…it was good. He hugged me good-bye with a huge smile on his face headed into class.

Pick up time came and he was once again happy. He and Peyton decided they wanted to wash my car as an early Mother’s day present. So as soon as we got home they put their bathing suits on and we headed outside to wash my car. We all laughed, I chased them around with the water hose, which they loved and we just had fun. An afternoon of just smiles, laughter and fun. Today was my Mother’s day because seeing Cam smile all day, hearing him laugh, watching he and Peyton playing in the water and giggling their little hearts out, having a talk with him that went better than I could have imagined and not one meltdown…for me it was the perfect day.

Today reminded me that though there are days that can and will get me down or days where I feel as though I will never win the fights I am up against for Cam…there are days like today that make all of that disappear.

Happy Mother’s day to all of you amazing mama’s out there! I hope all of you have the kind of day I had today because all of you deserve it! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment