Saturday, February 2, 2013

We Saw the Sun

Oh what a week we had, so when Saturday came knocking on our door I was more than happy to answer. Peyton had plans to spend the day with my in-laws, it was their birthday present to her...a day just the three of them. So, it was just going to be Bryan, Cameron and me. It has been a very long time since it has just been the three of us and since our week pretty much stunk, we decided we wanted to go and do something fun. So... what should we do? Well, we asked my little animal lover and he said "I want to go to the zoo to see my animal friends", so off to the zoo we would go. Though when we were driving there I kept looking at the cloudy, cold sky and thought..Saturday I answered the door when you knocked, so you better be good to us, we NEED you to be good to us! Mother Nature you are not allowed to have these cold and clouds on our day, we are ready to see some of Cameron's animal friends and they don't like the cold and clouds...at least according to him they don't. We got to the zoo about twenty minutes before they opened, if you know us you know that we are never late to anything...always early. We have yet to determine if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Either way, we were early, so we sat in the car and Cameron watched his show. As we sat there I kept having a talk with Saturday and with Mother Nature and I was determined they were going to listen to me. What was I going to do if they didn't you ask? Sit and cry or just yell and be locked up in a white jacket for being the crazy lady in the middle of the zoo screaming at Mother Nature and Saturday for ruining what I was determined was going to be a great day!

We got out of the car and wouldn't you know, we saw the sun! The sun was breaking through the clouds and smiles were coming on all three of our faces. Cameron was very excited to be there and to be going to see his animal friends. We had a great time walking through the zoo, laughing, listening to him tell us all about the different animals and talking to the animals. He is our Dr. Dolittle and I truly believe with his determination these animals understood what he was saying to them. I got to hear his excited and happy voice, something I haven't heard a lot this week.  Saturday and Mother Nature listened to me and the sun was shining on us and our day.

After the zoo and lunch we headed home to play. He wanted to play outside with his new basketball I  bought him at a yard sale. We determined today that basketball will not be his sport, he and dribbling do not go hand in hand. Coordination is not his strong area, but that is quite common with children on the spectrum. But he had fun so it doesn't really matter. When we headed out back to play, Cameron saw a fish jump in the pond behind our house so he decided he wanted to fish. If you have ever seen the movie UP, he is similar to the dog, where he gets easily distracted by his own "squirrels". So, since it's his day, Bryan went and got their fishing poles and they fished. Cameron's patience level was reaching a max when all of a sudden they got a tug and realized they had a fish. Cameron caught his first fish today! I had tears of pride, Bryan was beyond proud and Cameron was on cloud nine. Now, don't get me wrong he caught it but he is just like me and was not about to actually touch it. So. Bryan took it off and threw it back in. But, he caught it and he was doing his happy dance! So, today not only did we see the sun but we danced in it's shining warmth. After that Bryan and I spent the next thirty minutes promising Cameron, our little animal lover that he didn't hurt the fish and it was really back in the water swimming with his fish family. But, once he realized the fish was ok he wanted to catch another one.  They didn't catch a second fish but he was happy with the fact that he caught his first fish so all is well in his fishing world.

The rain poured on us this week and will probably hit us again soon. But for now, I am happy that the sun shined brightly on us and we had a day that none of us will ever forget. These are the type of days that most take for granted but that we cherish and are more than thankful for because we don't know when another day like this will happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment